To know “what is product design“, let’s have an idea about what is the product means?
The product can be defined as goods or services produced by a company, that made available for customers’ use. Companies are making products to satisfy the customer’s desire, need, and make a profit for themself at the same time.
Product designing is the first step towards making a new product or improve an existing product according to customers’ needs.
What is Product Design?
- Research and development.
- Account and personnel.
Product Design Requirements:
In order to achieve customer satisfaction
- The product should be function correctly and possess the desired degree of accuracy.
- The product should be easy to operate.
- Product design should be such that it is easy to achieve accessibility for servicing.
- The product should to compact and obtain good space utilization.
- The price of the product should be reasonable compare to other products in the market.
In order to make an adequate profit
- The product should easy to manufacture within available resources.
- A well-design product will consist of a minimum number of parts.
- Good product design will call for a minimum number of operations and needed less raw material.
- A well-designed product should be easy to peak and distribute.
Effect of product design on cost
- Product cost depends on product design, complicated design makes the cost higher, and vice versa.
- Production cost is made up of direct labor cost, direct material cost, direct expense, an indirect expense cost.
- The product should be designed with a material that is cheaper, machinable, and long-lasting at the same time. The product should be made from minimum material to reduce machining and material cost.
- Alternative cheap material can be used. For example, Aluminium can be used for making casting instate of magnesium alloy or non-metals can be used depending upon the requirement.
- Product cost can be reduced if there is a better mutual understanding between the design and manufacturing division. It may be possible to reduce the cost of products in order to compete in the market.
- Product cost maybe reduces by applying value analysis.
- A product should be designed with fewer parts. lesser the number of component lesser the product cost.
- Some component of the product which cannot be economically and easily produced, it should purchase from outside suppliers.
- Productivity should be higher so that products can sell at a lower cost.
Factors affecting Product Design:
- Technical factors.
- Industrial design factors.
- Designing for a production-economic factor.
1. Technical factors
- Kind of workers will be working (skilled or unskilled) and condition of noise, vibrations, heat, etc.
- Accuracy, speed, feed, types of materials used, etc should be considered in the time of product design.
- product design determines how often maintenance and repair will be required.
2. Industrial Design factors:
- The product should be function at minimum cost and the product should have a pleasing appearance.
- Ensure that the product is suitable for human use and it should not cause excessive fatigue to the workers.
3. Design for Production-economic factors:
- The material should be the cheapest and the minimum amount of material being used in making each component part.
- Waste during production should be minimized.
- Product design should be such as it makes the best use of factory layout and project needs to complete with the available labor.
- Does the product design allow maximum possible tolerance?
- The design needs to be simple, keep type, and varieties of parts to a minimum.
- Right finish being use consistent with cost, endurance, and appearance requirements.
product design process
1. Research stage
Design and Research is the first stage of the product design, in this stage design engineer has to find out- what will satisfy the customer? what they are going to make? what are the resources they have, to make that? The research stage Mainly focuses on targeted people, environmental conditions at which it will operate, machines, etc.
Targeted people mean potential customers age, gender, educational background, income level, social status, condition, etc. The environmental condition refers to where the design object will be located. Machines and electronics device will be such as product should be user friendly, and safe.