What is Work-Study?
Work-study investigates the work done in an organization and it aims to find the most effective way of using industrial resources like man, material, machinery, money, etc. Every company wants to achieve the best qualities of the product with the minimum possible time.
The time needed for manufacture an item depends upon the manufacturing procedure. Method study, one phase of work-study aims to find the best possible manufacturing procedure which needed less time and does not cause any fatigue to the workers. This is achieved by removing the unnecessary motion in a certain procedure or applying the best-suited sequence of operation in the process.
Definition of Work-Study
"Work Study is a generic term for those techniques particularly Method Study and Work Measurement which are used in the examination of human work in all its contexts and which lead systematically to the investigation of all the factors which affect the efficiency of the situation being reviewed, in order to seek improvement.“
Importance of Work-Study
From the ancient days principal of work-study are employed to explore improvements in the working method, and plant layout, etc. Of course at that time industries were simple and systematic procedures are not there.
In present time industries are a lot more complicated and levels of competition are very high, its naturally demands more effective and scientific approach to achieve more productivity within the same resources. So the importance of work-study is huge now-days.
Work study finds application in various sector like, or Application of Work-study
- Different industries like production, research and development, etc.
- Sales, marketing,
- Warehouse, store, office, hospital, etc design,
Benefits of work Study
- Work-study improved the production flow and make it uniform so that production can be completed in minimum possible time.
- Efficient utilization of men, materials, and machinery Its reduce manufacturing costs and makes the process more efficient.
- The process takes less time, so fast and accurate delivery dates can be achievable.
- Better relation between employee and employers.
- work-study helps to provide a better working environment, less fatigue for the workers and job satisfaction will be there.
- Higher wages of workers, reduce health hazard.
- Better product quality.
What is Method Study?
Method study is a systematic method of analyzing the manufacturing procedure of doing a job including human movements involved in it. In other words, it is the process of analyzing the methods and finding the best possible method which involves minimum time, not make fatigue to the workers and increase productivity. That’s why it is also termed as work simplification.
Method study is generally done by eliminating all unnecessary motions involve in a certain manufacturing procedure or by changing the sequence of operation or the whole process.
Method Study procedure
- Select the work which deserves to work-study and define the objective we need to achieve. Generally objective is to reduce the manufacturing cost, reduce bottlenecks or reduce fatigue of the worker with the aim of increase the efficiency.
- Record all the relevant data which are essential for the method in chart form to obtain a more clear picture of the respective methods. Process of recording can be easily done by the help of following aids-
- Examine all the recorded data in sequence. During Critically examination process number of question can be asked, like –
- Purpose of the event,
- Who does it? ,
- The place, where it is done? ,
- When the event is done?
- How differently we can be done? etc.
- Develop the best method of doing the event from the Critical Examination and record the method. But we have to keep in mind that Developed method should be practical, safe, economical and effective at the same time.
- Install the finally developed method or improve the method. The installation process involves three phases, Planning, Arranging and Implementing. During the planning and arranging phase programme of installation, making time table, the necessary arrangement of resources, equipment, tools are made. In the implementation or actual installation phase, the developed method is introduced as the standard practice.
- Maintain the new method, and ensure the proper functioning of the installed method by periodic inspection and verification. the aim of check and verification is to ensure if the method is being practised the same or it has deviated from the authorized one. Take the views of workers, supervisors it helps to explore further improvements.
What is Work Measurement in Work-Study?
Work Measurement may be defined as the application of different techniques to measure and establish the required time to complete a job by the qualified worker at an adequate level of performance. The time required to complete a job is determined by the number of observations.
After Method study completed Work measurement has taken place and will find the time allowed to complete the job by that procedure.