What is Maintenance?
Industrial maintenance is a process of maintaining machines and equipment in a factory. With the development of special-purpose machine and equipment, it cost a lot more money so their idle time and downtime becoming a lot more expensive day by day. Therefore, it is important that plant machinery and equipment should be properly maintained.
If you find the video helpful please subscribe my youtube channel Education leaves
Objective of plant maintenance :
- The maintenance division of the factory ensures the availability of machines and equipment to perform their function at optimum conditions.
- The objective of plant maintenance division is to achieve minimum breakdown and to keep the plant in excellent condition at the lowest possible cost.
- Kept the plant in such condition that, it should run without any interruption.
Importance of maintenance department :
- Depending upon the size of the maintenance department and type of production, it has a wide variety of duties.
- The maintenance department plays an important role in production because plant breakdown creates problems such as time loss, Rescheduling of production, temporary work shortages, need for overtime, inefficient productivity, etc.
- If a piece of equipment goes out of service in a flow production plant, the whole line soon comes in a halt. It results in a loss of productivity.
- The maintenance engineer inspects the plant, determines necessary changes to be made, and reports to the plant manager.
- The maintenance department involves alterations and improvement in existing equipment and building to minimize breakdown.
Types of Maintenance
- Correctiveor breakdown maintenance,
- Scheduled maintenance,
- Preventive maintenance,
- Predictive maintenance.
1. Corrective or Breakdown maintenance :
2. Scheduled maintenance :
3. Preventive maintenance :
4. Predictive maintenance :
Recommended Books for learning Maintenance
- Maintenance Planning and Scheduling by Richard (Doc) Palmer. (Check on Amazon Click Here) (From India? Click Here)
This is a great book to learn maintenance, it provides proven planning and scheduling strategies that will make any maintenance of an organization to the next level of performance. This book covers the accuracy of time estimates, the level of detail in job plans, creating schedules, utilizing a CMMS, etc all designed for increasing your workforce without hiring.
With emphasis on practical aspects of engineering, this bestseller has gained worldwide recognition through progressive editions as the essential reliability textbook. This fifth edition retains the unique balanced mixture of reliability theory and applications, thoroughly updated with the latest industry best practices.
3. Practical Plant Failure Analysis: A Guide to Understanding Machinery Deterioration and Improving Equipment Reliability by Neville W Sachs P.E. (Author) (Check on Amazon Click Here) (From India? Click Here)
This is a practical guide for those who do the work of maintaining and improving the reliability of mechanical machinery. It is for engineers and skilled trades personnel who want to understand how failures happen and how the physical causes of the great majority can be readily diagnosed in the field. It explains the four major failure mechanisms, wear, corrosion, overload, and fatigue and, using easy-to-read charts, how they can be diagnosed at the site of the failure. Then, knowing the physical failure mechanics involved, the reader can accurately solve the human causes.