What you are going to learn?
What is Maintenance?
Industrial maintenance is the process of maintaining machines and equipment in a factory. With the development of special-purpose machine and equipment, it cost a lot more money so their idle time and downtime becoming a lot more expensive day by day. Therefore, it is important that plant machinery and equipment should be properly maintained.
If you find the video helpful please subscribe to my youtube channel Education leaves
The objective of plant maintenance :
- The maintenance division of the factory ensures the availability of machines and equipment to perform their function at optimum conditions.
- The objective of the plant maintenance division is to achieve minimum breakdown and to keep the plant in excellent condition at the lowest possible cost.
- Kept the plant in such condition that, it should run without any interruption.
Importance of maintenance department :
- Depending upon the size of the maintenance department and type of production, it has a wide variety of duties.
- The maintenance department plays an important role in production because plant breakdown creates problems such as time loss, Rescheduling of production, temporary work shortages, need for overtime, inefficient productivity, etc.
- If a piece of equipment goes out of service in a flow production plant, the whole line soon comes in a halt. It results in a loss of productivity.
- The maintenance engineer inspects the plant, determines necessary changes to be made, and reports to the plant manager.
- The maintenance department involves alterations and improvement in existing equipment and building to minimize breakdown.
Types of Maintenance
- Corrective breakdown maintenance,
- Scheduled maintenance,
- Preventive maintenance,
- Predictive maintenance.
1. Corrective or Breakdown maintenance :
2. Scheduled maintenance :
3. Preventive maintenance :
When it is suitable for preventive maintenance?
- Have a critical operational function is running continuously
- Have failure modes that must be prevented with regular maintenance
- Have a piece of equipment which likelihood of failure that increases with time or use
4. Predictive maintenance :
Before establishing the predictive maintenance program within a factory, an organization must take several steps, which include:
- Analyzing the need and failure history of the equipment
- Reviewing all available records on downtime, defected equipment, losses (yield and energy), potential regulatory fines and workplace safety
- Establishing definitions and concepts as well as building a case for predictive maintenance
- Educating major stakeholders about the technique and getting buy-in
- Completing an equipment inventory and evaluative the current equipment conditions
- Selecting equipment for the program of initial implementation
- Developing system details based on individual systems and components
- Evaluating any existing preventive or predictive maintenance data
- Deciding which systems to include and what to inspect for
- Defining the program’s criticality and establishing predictive maintenance frequency and schedule type
- Evaluating the anticipated resources and assigning maintenance worker’s roles and responsibilities.